Friday 27 June 2008

Easy-peezy Bermuda Ginger Lemon Cake

Bermudians probably won't agree with me - their speciality is actually Bermuda rum cake, but the reason I've named this a Bermuda cake is because I've just spent a week visiting my man on this picturesque island in the Atlantic - and in a fit of baking restlessness I concocted this cake one sunny afternoon. It's super easy, no need for metric measurements in this recipe - my other half lives like a bachelor, it's amazing I even found a cake tin! - instead a good old coffee mug provided the measurements below: 
  • 2 1/4 cups sifted self-raising flour
  • 1 cup plain, unsweetened yoghurt (for a richer cake, use sour cream)
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter, melted (this was ca. 150g)
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 3cm freshly grated ginger
  • zest & juice of 2 lemons
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 180ºC, lightly oil a 22cm round cake tin, or line with greaseproof paper/baking parchment

In a medium bowl, combine all the wet ingredients. Add lemon zest and ginger, then the sugar and finally the flour. Using a large metal spoon, bring the mixture together, being careful not to over-fold it or the cake will be tough

Bake on the middle shelf for 35-45 minutes. Enjoy with a cup of tea, possibly with a splash of Bermuda rum in it!

No comments: